What is a Brazilian butt lift?
A Brazilian butt lift is a popular cosmetic procedure that involves the transfer of fat to help create more fullness in your backside.
If you’ve heard of a Brazilian butt lift and are curious about more permanent results than exercise alone, read more about the procedure and how to find a reputable provider to make sure it’s done safely.
Brazilian butt-lift procedure
A Brazilian butt lift consists of fat grafting that is notable for its natural-looking results. The procedure involves the following steps:
- The procedure is usually performed under anesthesia, but in procedures where a smaller volume of fat is transferred, it may be done with only local anesthesia (numbing medication). You may ask for an anti-nausea medication beforehand, especially if anesthesia makes you sick.
- Your surgeon then uses liposuction to remove fat from other areas of your body, such as your hips, stomach, and thighs. Liposuction itself involves making incisions in the skin and then using a tube to remove fat from the body.
- The fat stores that have just been removed from your body are purified and readied for injection into your buttocks.
- Your surgeon finishes by injecting the processed fat into specific areas of the buttocks to create a more rounded, full look. They make three to five incisions around the buttocks for fat transfers.
- Both liposuction and fat transfer incisions are closed up with stitches. Your surgeon then applies a compression garment against the affected areas of your skin to minimize your risk of bleeding.
Brazilian butt-lift surgery benefits
Unlike other forms of buttock surgery, such as the placement of silicone buttock implants, a Brazilian butt lift is touted for providing more natural-looking results while also creating more roundness in your backside.
It can also help address certain issues, such as the sagging and shapelessness that sometimes occur with age.
You might also consider the procedure if you’re bothered by figure imbalances that make it difficult to wear clothing comfortably.
Another benefit to Brazilian butt lifts is that there is a lower risk of infection compared to silicone buttock implants. It does have a better safety profile than other substances, such as silicone caulking and sealants, that are sometimes illegally injected into buttocks by people not qualified to perform the procedure.
Brazilian butt-lift recovery and outlook
Like any cosmetic surgery, you’ll need to take special care after a Brazilian butt lift. You won’t be able to sit on your butt for two weeks following surgery, and you’ll need to sleep on your side or on your stomach until the area has completely healed.
Your buttocks may be swollen for several weeks as you recover from surgery.
Overall, the effects of this surgery last several months to years.
Initially, you may need more than one procedure until you achieve the exact results you want. It can also take up to six months before you see full results from the initial procedure.